You have to Chai these!
Are you in the mood for muffins? Who am I kidding? Muffin mood is 24/7! When I received this Mile High Chai from The Tea Spot., I couldn't help but smell the spicy goodness and decide to make muffins with it!
Let's take a second to admire this gorgeous tea. This blend includes black tea, ginger root, cinnamon, allspice, peppercorn, cloves and natural chai flavoring.
This is a very basic muffin recipe that I adapted to include tea! There were a few things that didn't go as planned and I have included them at the end of the recipe for your consideration, make sure to read the whole recipe before starting to bake!
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar **
- 2 tablespoons of Mile High Chai
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 egg**
- Extra raw brown sugar for sprinkling
- Paper liners **
** See notes at end of recipe
- Preheat oven to 375
- Heat milk, add in 2 tablespoons of Mile High Chai. Let steep then drain milk. I used the insert of the brewing mug from The Tea Spot
- Mix together all the dry ingredients
- Lightly beat all the wet ingredients together (make sure the milk has cooled)
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture
- Mix until combined, do not over mix
- Fill liners 3/4 full and sprinkle sugar on top
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick or fork comes out dry when muffin is poked
- Increase 2 tablespoons of sugar to 1/2 cup sugar
- Either grease paper liners or use silicone baking cups
- Next time I might consider adding one additional egg to the recipe to make the outcome a bit more moist
I liked the idea of low sugar recipe but definitely could stand for them to be a bit sweeter, especially because these don't have frosting!
The applesauce makes them dense but I prefer this slightly healthier option by replacing the butter.
I liked the chai flavoring in the muffins, very subtle but adds to the spiciness. I think these tea muffins would go great with a glass of black tea! Perfect for dunking :)
As mentioned in my notes, I didn't anticipate the batter sticking to the paper liners so much but this can always be fixed!
Despite some of the hiccups, these turned out wonderfully. Yet again I'm reminded that tea is not just for drinking. What a wonderful item that can consumed in so many different ways. This mile high chai was especially perfect for muffins because of the ginger and peppercorn flavor in the blend, a fall fav!
What is your favorite tea recipe?! Ill be sharing more of these types of posts so stay tuned!